Bruce Potter graduated from Washington and Lee in 1985 with a journalism major. He worked as a reporter and editor for The Richmond News Leader and the Richmond Times-Dispatch for 14 years before moving into positions with the newspapers' parent company, Media General Inc. He was publisher of the Waynesboro News-Virginian and later group publisher for the company's Northern Virginia region. In 2012, he joined Northern Virginia Media Services, based in Leesburg, where he is now chief operating officer. The group publishes six weekly newspapers, a monthly paper parenting magazine, and the region's largest news website, InsideNoVa.com.
Journalism, Media, and Publishing
Explore careers in journalism, media, and publishing by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment via Handshake with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
- CEI - Media Internships
- CBS News - Internship program in various departments; deadlines October 31 and February 28
- Journalism Jobs - Great resource - sort by type: magazine, digital, newspaper, tv/radio, trade publications, PR/Communications, nonprofit/government/academia, financial and diversity
- L.A. Times - Summer reporting internship; deadline November 1!
- Media Bistro
- National Public Radio
- Poynter - List of journalism internships & fellowships
- AP Internship - 12 week journalism internship covering business/entertainment or global news
- ABC News - Internship in network news
Writing, Editing, and Publishing
- Book Jobs - Internships in publishing
- Dow Jones News Fund - Multi-platform editing internship
- iei Media - Study multimedia reporting and international journalism
- Media Bistro
- Newspaper Association of America
- New York Women in Communication
- Slate - Various open positions in editorial internships
- USA Today College Correspondent Program - Undergraduate reporters focus on creating news stories and learning the craft of making engaging, accurate content. This content is published through USA TODAY College, one of the nation's premier college news outlets.
- inGeneral - inGeneral magazine primarily serves to educate the Washington and Lee and greater Lexington community through providing news and student interest pieces relevant to students, faculty, and Lexington residents, including but not limited to: individual profile stories; student movement stories; and Lexington business and organization stories.
- Political Review - The Washington & Lee Political Review is a student-administered, student-centered academic journal with a clear emphasis on political science and political theory. The Review showcases exceptional undergraduate scholarship, and serves as an ambassador to the academic community at large.
- The Stone - The Stone is an interdisciplinary academic journal containing work from the current students of Washington and Lee. The journal's presence and content provoke and answer the question, "What is the purpose of a liberal arts education?"
- The Ring-tum Phi - It is the mission of The Ring-tum Phi to accurately, truthfully and thoroughly report news affecting the Washington and Lee community for students, faculty, parents and alumni.
- Journalism Department Resources
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.